Laboratory Animal Services
The Laboratory Animal Services (LAS) facility provides the institute’s research staff with the highest quality laboratory animal care and support services using state-of-the-art equipment, advanced technology, and a progressive staff in a premier animal facility.
The management of the LAS facility ensures all housing, husbandry practices, and veterinary care for the animals are in compliance with the Guide for the Care and Use of Laboratory Animals, Animal Welfare Act and its amendments, and the Public Health Service Policy on Humane Care and Use of Laboratory Animals, as well as all other institutional, state, and local regulations.
The facility is designed to maintain animal projects under rigorous barrier conditions, and every effort is made to limit the introduction of undesirable pathogens, which may impact the integrity and reproducibility of the research data. High standards of animal health and welfare are maintained and regularly monitored and examined by federal agencies and local ethics committees.
The LAS Facility uses the following equipment in its work:
- 2 x Steris Finn Aqua® Double Door Sterilizers
- Steris Basil® 6000 Tunnel Washer
- Steris Basil® 9500 Rack Washer
- Edstrom Reverse Osmosis System
- Steris and Bioquell VHP Machine
- Steris Detach® Robotics
- Steris Detach® Bedding Dispenser and Disposal System
- Omnilock Access Control System
- Techniplast Series 900WP Rack Washer
- Steris Amsco® Century® V-160H Prevac Steam Sterilzer
- ViraTek LE2828 Chlorine Dioxide Misting Tunnel