Associate Scientist - REQID0002177
Job ID: REQID0002177
The Sequencing and Discovery Genomics Center at the Stowers Institute for Medical Research has an opening for an Associate Scientist to offer Next Generation Sequencing (NGS) support to researchers at the Institute using state-of-the-art equipment. The associate scientist will work independently and collaboratively in this role.
- Perform tasks associated with Next Generation Sequencing (NGS).
- Participate in method developments that will bring new applications/techniques to the center.
- Develop/incorporate new applications and techniques based on industry offerings and journal publications
- Use state-of-the-art equipment to offer sequencing support to researchers.
- Proficiency in performing collaborative scientific research work, analyzing data, and presenting data/results
- Troubleshoot technical and scientific issues
- Effectively document and communicate results and progress to both internal and external scientists
- Perform all tasks associated with basic to complex SOPs, with a high proficiency and minimal supervision
- Plan project milestones and reporting conclusions or deliverables
- Respond to researcher requests for service and offering trainings
- Attend related conferences and symposiums in order to stay abreast of new research and techniques, and bring knowledge back to share with the group
- Other lab duties as assigned
- MS or PhD (or equivalent experience) in molecular biology, biochemistry, biology or related field
- Minimum 2+ years of hands-on NGS experience
- Prior experience in molecular biology including DNA/RNA/cell/tissue handling
- A strong understanding of NGS techniques and high throughput processing using automation
- Experience with lab automation and liquid handling robots
- Ability to work both independently with minimal supervision and cooperatively as part of a team
- Demonstrated effective verbal and written communication skills
The successful candidate will be a self-starter willing to commit the required effort to accomplish objectives and identify opportunities. Candidates should demonstrate solid problem-solving skills with the ability to think “outside the box” and innovatively. The ability to effectively prioritize one’s workload and manage changes in direction and priority is essential. Meticulous attention to detail and accuracy in work product will be vital. Successful candidates will be a team player who demonstrates and fosters a partnering attitude, while simultaneously being willing to challenge team members to strive to achieve goals.
Submit the requested documents to email@example.com or to Administration Department, Stowers Institute for Medical Research, 1000 E 50th Street, Kansas City, MO 64110.
- Current Resume or CV
- Cover Letter