Executive Assistant - REQID0002009
Office of the Executive Director and Chief Scientific Officer
Job ID: REQID0002009
The Executive Assistant for the Executive Director and Chief Scientific Officer at the Stowers Institute for Medical Research is responsible for a wide range of complex and confidential administrative tasks, including managing detailed travel schedules, speaking opportunities and appointments as well as providing support for a busy and dynamic lab.
This individual should have exceptional ability to take appropriate initiative, assess needs, and then plan and carry out tasks efficiently and effectively to support the Executive Director’s scientific and professional goals.
Provide Administrative Support for the Investigator:
- Manage the Executive Director’s calendar and coordinate complex scheduling of meetings, appointments, research conferences, and committee activity.
- Assist the Executive Director with management of email and other correspondence.
- Coordinate collection of information and preparation of materials for meetings and conferences; assist with preparation of slides and materials for meeting presentations.
- Maintain records of Executive Director’s research, mentoring, and teaching activity; research support funding; and participation in scientific meetings and conferences.
- Make complex travel arrangements, monitor issues affecting travel plans, and assist Executive Director with adjustment of travel arrangements as needed.
- Track travel and business-related expenses incurred by the Executive Director; prepare and submit reimbursement requests; track and record receipt and appropriate distribution of expense reimbursements; and prepare reports of completed and planned domestic and international travel as required.
- Assist with planning and coordination of visits by scientists, research sponsors, and supporters of the scientific mission. Prepare visitors’ itineraries and other materials as needed.
- Work closely with others in the Office of the Executive Director to help plan and coordinate events and special projects as needed.
- Assist with coordinating personal appointments, responsibilities, and arrangements for the Executive Director as needed.
Assist Laboratory Staff and Support Research Activity
- Work with Lab Manager to manage procurement of supplies, lab services, and equipment
- Determine appropriate funding source for specific purchases
- Enter requisitions into procurement systems as indicated
- Track purchase order status and fulfillment and delivery processes; investigate problems and coordinate problem resolution
- Review receipts and invoices and forward to Accounts Payable offices as indicated.
- Support lab functions
- Work with Lab Manager as needed to address lab support needs and coordinate utilization of specific support services
- Assist with tracking and reporting lab activity
- Schedule and coordinate lab meetings and group activities; prepare materials for meetings and events
- Communicate information to lab staff regarding policies and procedures
- Process conference registrations and make travel arrangements for lab staff members
- Prepare reports of research activity, compile required documents, and develop project budgets for research grant proposals. Submit proposals for institutional approval and coordinate provision of any required amendment or follow-up.
- Assist with preparation, editing, and submittal of research reports and manuscripts.
- Monitor budget status of HHMI Investigator Operations funding, funded research projects awarded to Stowers, and internal Stowers research support accounts
- Help initiate and facilitate processing of lab personnel actions
- Work with appropriate offices to facilitate recruitment and hiring processes and coordinate onboarding and offboarding actions
- Complete I-9 documentation for newly-hired HHMI employees
- Prepare and track personnel action requests and proposed salary changes
- Determine requirements for specified visa actions; collect and submit information as directed; and track status of visa actions in progress.
- Track annual appointments of Postdoctoral Researchers and coordinate processing of re-appointments as indicated.
- Bachelor’s degree; or an equivalent combination of education and related work experience
- Five or more years of increasingly responsible administrative experience in a complex organization. Experience working in a research environment preferred. Knowledge of scientific terminology and familiarity with research laboratory operations are a plus.
- Experience arranging domestic and international corporate travel would be valuable.
Skills and Abilities
- Advanced computer skills: proficiency in use of Microsoft office suite and in the use of messaging systems. Ability to learn new systems as upgrades or new capabilities are introduced
- Ability to prioritize and perform an array of tasks and to learn certain new tasks independently
- Strong writing skills
- Excellent organizational, time management and decision-making skills.
- Exceptional “customer service” skills, focused on meeting customer needs and on achieving customer satisfaction
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team and to participate in team leadership as indicated.
- Strong analytical skills, good judgment, and the ability to use critical thinking.
Submit the requested documents to firstname.lastname@example.org or to Administration Department, Stowers Institute for Medical Research, 1000 E 50th Street, Kansas City, MO 64110.
- Current Resume
- Cover Letter