The Stowers Institute for Medical Research has an immediate opening for a full-time Aquatics Supervisor to oversee services provided by the cavefish facility.
- Assist in developing and modifying animal care policies, procedures, and practices which promote high-quality, cost-effective operation of the animal facility.
- Participate in staff hiring; scheduling; conduct orientations and training; and facilitate staff development.
- Interact with faculty, staff, and other departments to provide high quality, responsive animal care services.
- Oversee efficiency and effectiveness of work assigned to direct reports.
- Maintain supply and equipment inventory to sustain day-to-day operations.
- Maintain accurate records including room logs, health reports, staff training, animal census, and other records as required.
- Develop, implement, and update standard operating procedures (SOPs).
- Conduct performance evaluation reviews for direct reports.
- Coordinate animal procurement and receipt and oversee animal shipments.
- Maintain colonies to meet researcher needs including rearing stocks, fish health assessments, and culturing of live feeds.
- Prepare for all regulatory inspections and site visits including IACUC and AAALAC
- Identify and report physical plant items or equipment in need of repair.
- Provide oversight and maintenance of aquatic life support systems to maintain optimum water quality.
This is an excellent opportunity for a candidate to utilize and expand their knowledge of fish biology and aquaculture while also gaining exposure to various facets of biomedical research. The successful candidate will be self-motivated, have excellent communication and organizational skills, and the ability to provide leadership for effective teamwork.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related life science field (e.g., animal science, biology, microbiology, aquaculture)
- Four years of experience in a aquatics research facility
- Demonstrated knowledge of animal welfare regulations, fish biology, aquaculture, and genetics
- Candidates with previous supervisory experience are especially encouraged to apply.
- In addition, the candidate will be required to become LAT certified through AALAS.
- Participation in and oversight of weekend, holiday, and on-call work will be required.
- Experience with MS Word, PowerPoint, and Excel
- The ability to lift at least fifty pounds
Submit the requested documents to email@example.com or to Administration Department, Stowers Institute for Medical Research, 1000 E 50th Street, Kansas City, MO 64110.
- Current Resume/CV
- Cover Letter