The Stowers Institute has an opening for a Bioinformatics Specialist on the Big Data, AI, and Genomics Team. Responsibilities will directly involve the development and maintenance of an existing genome database with gene pages and genome browsers.
Successful candidates will have strong communication skills and the ability to actively participate in interdisciplinary teams; demonstrate capability of high performance in independent work as well as in a team setting; maintain a high degree of accuracy and attention to detail; and exhibit creative and out-of-the-box thinking skills.
- Development of pipelines for data analysis
- Development of pipelines for data loading into genomic databases
- Development of custom Drupal/Tripal modules
- Development of custom JBrowse Plugins
- Data migration from local VM servers to AWS
- Managing AWS instances
- New data type integration, such as proteomic and microscopy
- New data loading and updating
- Drupal site management
- Other duties as assigned
Minimum requirements include a PhD or MS in Bioinformatics, Computational Biology, Computer Science, or related field, or 5+ years bioinformatics/computational biology experience AND:
- Experience with novel organism genomics
- Fluency in Linux, bash, and a scripting language such as Python, Perl, or PHP
- Some knowledge of Java or other languages as needed for programming using APIs
- Experience using and troubleshooting core bioinformatics algorithms and tools such as those used in comparative genomics, genome assembly, gene model building, gene annotation, variant calling and effect, DNAseq, RNAseq, ChIPseq, and ATACseq
Additional Preferred Technical Skills:
- Ability to collaborate in the design and development of software, informatics infrastructure, and databases for Genome data analysis and management
- Ability to learn complex existing code, make changes when needed, and ensure stability through testing
- Understanding of AWS instance deployment and management
- Experience with relational databases and SQL
Application Instructions: To apply, please submit a current CV and cover letter that includes your favorite computational achievements as well as a short summary of interests to firstname.lastname@example.org or to Administration Department, Stowers Institute for Medical Research, 1000 E 50th Street, Kansas City, MO 64110.