Cell Culture Technician
The Stowers Institute has an opening for a Cell Culture Technician. This position will include weekend work.
- Maintaining mammalian and insect cell lines and associated documentation in electronic database
- Expanding cell lines to meet researchers’ requirements
- Cultivating cells on plates, flasks, roller bottles, and spinner vessels using aseptic technique
- Participating in the scheduling and delivering of cell lines as requested
- Performing quality control assays, such as sterility, endotoxin, mycoplasma, and others as needed
- Preparing media, nutrient feeds, buffers, and reagents for cell culture and analytical work
- Preparing, maintaining and managing storage databases
- Evaluating newly introduced cell lines
- Performing weekly inventory checks and submits orders to ensure consistent supply stock
- Responding to researcher requests for service
- Assisting in training all cell technicians in the Tissue Culture team
- Scheduling researchers’ mammalian and insect transfections
- Attending related cell culture symposiums in order to stay abreast of new research and techniques, and bring knowledge back to share with the group
Additional responsibilities include set up and maintenance of equipment and instruments; keeping accurate record of observations in LIMS database and/or laboratory notebooks; assisting in the writing and implementation of Standard Operating Procedures; and performing daily duties with minimal supervision.
The successful candidate will have mastered a broad spectrum of basic and advanced laboratory techniques in Molecular and Cell Biology and will have excellent sterile technique, outstanding oral and written communication skills, and the ability to work both independently and as part of a team. Experience in transfection, virus, embryonic stem cells culture, primary cell culture, CRISPR, and/or 3D culture is preferred.
Minimum requirements include a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in life sciences or equivalent, 5+ years practical experience, and demonstrated working knowledge of cell culture, cell biology, and related techniques.
Application Instructions: To apply, please submit a current CV to email@example.com or to Administration Department, Stowers Institute for Medical Research, 1000 E 50th Street, Kansas City, MO 64110.