Manager of Financial Reporting
The Stowers Institute for Medical Research has an opening for a Manager of Financial Reporting. This position ensures the accuracy of the Stowers Group of Companies (the Institute) financial records and is responsible for various monthly, quarterly and year-end reporting requirements. The candidate will be the subject matter expert for technical GAAP accounting matters. The candidate is a senior member of the Accounting team and will report to the Director of Accounting Operations.
- Supporting staff in development and preparation of accurate and timely reporting materials for internal and external stakeholders.
- Being a significant contributor to the Institute’s ERP evaluation and technology solution initiatives for Finance and Accounting.
- Primary point of contact for the Institute’s annual audit by reviewing PBC’s, ensuring the consolidated financials comply with GAAP reporting guidelines, and working with external auditors.
- The candidate will have primary responsibility for maintaining current knowledge of accounting standards, recommending changes when necessary, and preparation of accounting memos.
- Understanding and developing reporting that bridges GAAP accounting and operational reporting.
- Completing monthly review of financial statements and supporting schedules.
- Developing and preparing financial dashboards.
- Leading certain year end activities.
- Overseeing the annual tax return process by reviewing returns for accuracy and ensuring current tax regulations are followed. Will work directly with external accounting firm to file returns in a timely manner.
- Managing performance review process including review of performance goals and regular and developmental feedback to staff.
- Developing documentation for policies, procedures and processes.
- Assisting to maintain and update internal controls over financial reporting.
- Various ad-hoc projects as assigned.
The successful candidate will be a self-starter willing to commit the required effort to accomplish objectives and identify opportunities. Candidates should demonstrate solid problem-solving skills with the ability to think “outside the box” and innovatively. The ability to effectively prioritize one’s workload and manage changes in direction and priority is essential. Meticulous attention to detail and accuracy in work product will be vital. Successful candidates will be a team player who demonstrates and fosters a partnering attitude, while simultaneously being willing to challenge team members to strive to achieve goals.
- A mix of 6-8 years of corporate and public accounting (audit) experience.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting and CPA is required, advanced degree preferred.
- Prior project experience implementing new accounting/finance technology solutions is a must.
- Demonstrated effective verbal and written communication skills
- Significant knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and financial practices.
- Prior not-for-profit experience is preferred but not required.
Application Instructions: To apply, please submit a current resume and cover letter to email@example.com or to Administration Department, Stowers Institute for Medical Research, 1000 E 50th Street, Kansas City, MO 64110.