The Stowers Institute for Medical Research has an opening for a Senior Accountant. This position will be the financial liaison between GAAP Accounting and Operations reporting for the Stowers Group of Companies. The candidate is a member of the Accounting team and will report to the Director of Accounting Operations.
- Significant contributor for accounting and finance technology solution project implementations.
- Assisting with the Institute’s annual audit by preparing PBC’s, consolidated financials and footnotes.
- Preparing accurate and timely journal entries for both the GL and Operations accounting systems.
- Reconciling GL and operations systems, researches and corrects variances.
- Understanding and developing reporting that bridges GAAP accounting and operational reporting.
- Leading the annual fixed asset audit.
- Reviewing Staff Accountant’s journal entries for accuracy and posting to the GL system.
- Reconciling GL accounts, analyzing activity and following up on issues when needed.
- Coordination of year-end accruals.
- Assisting in the annual tax return process by completing Form 990.
- Contributing to the development of accounting policies and procedures.
- Various ad-hoc projects as assigned.
The successful candidate will be a self-starter willing to commit the required effort to accomplish objectives and identify opportunities. Candidates should demonstrate solid problem-solving skills with the ability to think “outside the box” and innovatively. The ability to effectively prioritize one’s workload and manage changes in direction and priority is essential. Meticulous attention to detail and accuracy in work product will be vital. Successful candidates will be a team player who demonstrates and fosters a partnering attitude, while simultaneously being willing to challenge team members to strive to achieve goals.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting and CPA is required.
- 5-7 years of related experience.
- Prior project experience implementing new accounting/finance technology solutions is preferred.
- Prior experience in a major ERP system is preferred.
- Extensive Excel knowledge.
- Prior not-for-profit experience is preferred.
Application Instructions: To apply, please submit a current resume and cover letter to email@example.com or to Administration Department, Stowers Institute for Medical Research, 1000 E 50th Street, Kansas City, MO 64110.