The Stowers Institute for Medical Research has an opening for a Security Officer to assist with maintaining a safe and secure environment and protecting the physical assets of the Institute.
The officer will have an opportunity to work additional hours covering for other SRM officers who may be taking vacation or sick leave in addition to their own assigned shift. The officer will be expected to work at one and/or two locations for Stowers Institute of Medical Research locations; 1000 E. 50th and/or 8333 Hickman Mills, Kansas City, MO.
- Greeting and assisting members, visitors and guests
- Patrol all outside grounds, parking areas, and interior buildings of the Institute by motor vehicle and/or on foot
- Checking interior and exterior doors
- Confronting suspicious individuals that may be loitering on the property
- Report violations of company security, safety and procedural policies
- Report hazardous conditions such as fire risk, water leaks, chemical spills and malfunctioning equipment
- Respond to alarms received by the security desk
- Raise and lower parking gates
- Prepare daily written reports, submit investigatory findings, and produce other written documents when requested
- Monitoring the closed-circuit television system, access control, security alarm systems, and other security equipment for the campus
- Provide an emergency response and be prepared for emergencies that could occur by directing, coordinating, and carrying out the responses established by security management.
- Example emergencies that may require officer response include: fire alarms, suspicious packages, hazardous material releases or spills, medical emergencies, mechanical or equipment failures, extreme weather or other criminal actions or threats to the Institute.
- Other duties as assigned
In addition to excellent verbal and written communication skills, the successful candidate must maintain a service-oriented demeanor at all times. Successful candidates will demonstrate the ability to communicate and engage individuals in a professional, friendly and courteous manner. Security personnel play a public relations role and are a direct representation of Stowers Resource Management as they perform their protection duties. Candidates must also be able to work the required shift with minimal supervision.
Minimum Requirements Include:
- A high school diploma or GED
- Posses a valid driver’s license
- Five years of law enforcement or security experience preferred
- Must obtain a Class A Armed Patrol Agent License with the Kansas City Missouri Police Department (refer to this website for details: http://kcmo.gov/police/private-security-officers/)
- Certification or the ability to be certified in CPR with AED and Basic First Aid
- Intermediate computer skills, including Microsoft Word, Teams and Outlook
- A demonstrated familiarity with operating various security systems is preferred, including the electronic security access control system, security surveillance system and the various sub-systems (textcaster, assist stations, etc.)
- Ability to work the assigned schedule of Thursday, Friday, Saturday from 5PM to 5AM weekly.
Submit the requested documents to firstname.lastname@example.org or to Administration Department, Stowers Institute for Medical Research, 1000 E 50th Street, Kansas City, MO 64110.
- Current Resume
- Cover Letter