Because The Graduate School of the Stowers Institute for Medical Research is committed to giving each predoctoral researcher the best research experience in an unrivaled research environment, The Graduate School provides a highly competitive salary, does not charge tuition for the graduate program, purchases a laptop and necessary textbooks for each predoctoral researcher, and covers all costs of instruction and research. The amount of the salary is reviewed annually to ensure it remains competitive. The salary for the 2016-2017 academic year is $36,000. The Graduate School guarantees the salary and benefits through the duration of the program for each predoctoral researcher, as long as they remain in good standing.
The Graduate School provides:
- a competitive salary ($36,000 for the 2017-2018 academic year)
- travel and conference allowances
- a laptop computer
- assistance with English language proficiency (if desired or required)
- Medical, pharmacy and dental insurance
- Predoctoral researchers may provide proof of other coverage in lieu of a Stowers plan.
Provided at no cost:
- Term life insurance
- Accidental death and dismemberment coverage
- Short-term and long-term disability coverage
- Employee Assistance Program
- Vision insurance
- Additional life insurance
- Tax savings plans
- 403(b) plans
Kansas City Life
The Greater Kansas City metro area of 2.5 million people spans the Missouri/Kansas border and encompasses several counties. Kansas City, Missouri, is the largest city and home to the Stowers Institute for Medical Research. Kansas City, Kansas, is a smaller city on the west side of the state line.
The Greater Kansas City area has one of the fastest-growing job markets in the Midwest, lower business and lifestyle costs than most major metro areas, and a well-educated and productive workforce. It has a newly revitalized downtown urban core, explosive suburban growth, colleges, historic main streets, professional sports teams, abundant shopping, world-class museums of classic and contemporary art, ballet, opera, Broadway shows, and concerts.