The Graduate School of the Stowers Institute for Medical Research recruits U.S. and international predoctoral researchers who have already demonstrated a high degree of research proficiency. All predoctoral researchers entering the Ph.D. program in Biology are required to have obtained a bachelor's degree (B.S. or B.A.) or equivalent as a prerequisite for admission. Although the majority of entering predoctoral researchers will have a solid background in modern molecular biology and biochemistry, the program also encourages applications from those candidates who have a demonstrated interest in disciplines such as mathematics, physics, chemistry, or computer science. In all cases, a record of successful research is the primary criterion for admission.
The online application form for admission in August 2014 will be available on this website in September 2013. The deadline to submit the application will be December 1, 2013.
All applicants must apply online. Application materials will need to include:
- Completed application form, including biographical information, educational background, and names of three references
- Detailed summary of undergraduate or post-bachelor’s degree research project(s)
- List of publication(s) on which the applicant is an author (if any) with a description of his/her contribution to the paper
- Description of a current scientific problem relevant to the research of a Stowers Institute principal investigator that is of significant interest to the applicant
- Description of any additional relevant research experience
- Candidate statement about himself/herself
- Three reference letters
Grade point average (GPA) and test scores (e.g. GRE and TOEFL) are not required for admission to The Graduate School of the Stowers Institute for Medical Research, but an applicant may list the GPA and test scores on the application form.
All application materials must be submitted in English.
Each application is evaluated by an Admissions Committee. Applicants chosen for further consideration must submit the following information:
- Additional biographic and demographic information
- Disciplinary history
- Official transcript(s) from all institutions
- List of courses in progress
After further review by the Admissions Committee and a possible Skype interview, the applicants under consideration are invited to visit the Stowers Institute for Medical Research to participate in a thorough interview process in February. Travel for all interviewees is arranged and paid for by The Graduate School.
Following the interviews, the Admissions Committee chooses the selected candidates. Decisions are finalized by mid-March.
Applicants are considered and accepted without regard to race, creed, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, military status or any other status protected by law.