The predoctoral research program of The Graduate School of the Stowers Institute for Medical Research stresses critical thinking and the rapid development of experimental prowess.
- Previous research experience: We seek out applicants with strong records of research as undergraduates and postgraduates, as demonstrated through the summary of research submitted with the application, mentors’ recommendation letters, and any publications.
- Strong scientific background: The majority of entering predoctoral researchers will have a solid background in modern molecular biology and biochemistry. We also encourage applications from candidates who want to enter the biological sciences and have majored in mathematics, physics, chemistry, or computer science.
- Education requirement: All applicants are required to have obtained a bachelor's degree (B.S. or B.A.) or equivalent from an accredited institution as a prerequisite for admission.
The Graduate School of the Stowers Institute for Medical Research recruits both U.S. and international predoctoral researchers.
For more information, contact us at email@example.com.
How do I apply?
The application deadline for 2017 is now past. We will accept recommendation letters and transcripts until December 5th.
Applications must include:
- A completed online application form, including biographical information, educational background, and contact information of three references
- Detailed summary of undergraduate or post-bachelor's degree research project(s)
- List of publication(s) on which the applicant is an author (if any) with a description of his/her contribution to the paper
- Description of a current scientific problem relevant to the research of a Stowers Institute principal investigator that is of significant interest to the applicant. This research can be found at www.stowers.org/research/scientists
- Candidate statement about himself/herself
- Description of any additional relevant research experience
- Three reference letters
- Official transcript(s) from all post-high school institutions
Grade point average (GPA) and test scores (e.g., GRE and TOEFL) are not required for admission to The Graduate School of the Stowers Institute for Medical Research, but an applicant may list the GPA and scores on the application form. All application materials must be submitted in English. No application fee is required.
Frequently Asked Questions are answered in the Admissions FAQ section. After reviewing this section, if further information is needed, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Admissions Committee evaluates each application. Those applicants chosen for further consideration are asked for the following information:
- Additional biographic and demographic information
- List of courses in progress
- Disciplinary history
After further review by the Admissions Committee and a possible Skype interview, the applicants under consideration are invited to visit the Stowers Institute for Medical Research to participate in a thorough interview process in January and February. Each interview consists of the applicant making a brief scientific presentation to faculty members, meeting individually with faculty members, touring the Stowers Institute, and meeting with predoctoral researchers. Travel and accommodations for all interviewees is arranged and paid for by The Graduate School.
Following the interviews, the Admissions Committee chooses the selected candidates. First round decisions will be announced by March 1. Final decisions will be announced by April 1.
Applicants are considered and accepted without regard to race, creed, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, military status or any other status protected by law.