The Graduate School of the Stowers Institute for Medical Research recruits U.S. and international students who have already demonstrated a high degree of research proficiency. All students entering the Ph.D. program in Biology are required to have obtained a bachelor's degree (B.S. or B.A.) or equivalent as a prerequisite for admission. Although the majority of entering students will have obtained a solid background in modern molecular biology and biochemistry, the program also encourages applications from those students who have a demonstrated interest in disciplines such as mathematics, physics, chemistry, or computer science. In all cases, a record of successful research is the primary criterion for admission.
The deadline to submit an application for admission in August 2014 was December 1, 2013.
For more information, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
All applicants must apply online, and applications must include:
- Completed application form, including biographical information, educational background, and names of three references
- Detailed summary of undergraduate or post-bachelor’s degree research project(s)
- List of publication(s) on which the applicant is an author (if any) with a description of his/her contribution to the paper
- Description of a current scientific problem relevant to the research of a Stowers Institute principal investigator that is of significant interest to the applicant
- Description of any additional relevant research experience
- Candidate statement about himself/herself
- Three reference letters
Grade point average (GPA) and test scores (e.g., GRE and TOEFL) are not required for admission to The Graduate School of the Stowers Institute for Medical Research, but an applicant may list the GPA and scores on the application form.
All application materials must be submitted in English.
The Admissions Committee evaluates each application. Those applicants chosen for further consideration are asked for the following information:
- Additional biographic and demographic information
- Disciplinary history
- Copy of official transcript
- List of courses in progress
After further review by the Admissions Committee and a possible Skype interview, the applicants under consideration are invited to visit the Stowers Institute for Medical Research for a thorough interview in February. Travel for all interviewees is arranged and paid for by The Graduate School.
Following the interviews, the Admissions Committee chooses the selected candidates. Decisions are finalized by mid-March.
Applicants are considered and accepted without regard to race, creed, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, military status or any other status protected by law.