Spend the summer doing research
The Stowers Summer Scholars Program is an intensive research internship at the Stowers Institute for Medical Research for those interested in a research career.
An intensive 8-week program for undergrads
Stowers Summer Scholars spend 8 weeks over the summer conducting full-time research under the guidance and supervision of a Principal Investigator or a senior member of the lab. All Scholars are required to attend weekly scientific seminars on an array of research topics. Other activities include a weekly lunch where scholars learn about different research topics and scientific careers from Stowers Scientists. At the completion of the program, Scholars present their work in an all-Institute poster session. The Summer Scholars program is supported by a generous donation from the Stowers Foundation.
What you’ll experience
The Stowers Summer Scholars program provides great experiences in an unrivaled research environment.
- An independent research project under the direction of a Principal Investigator
- Immersion in a Stowers laboratory with a highly interactive and collaborative research environment
- Experimental access to the latest techniques and technologies
- Intellectual and social opportunities with other Scholars, laboratory members, and the Stowers community
- Laboratories studying fundamental biological processes in the fields of chromatin and regulation of gene expression; chromosome structure and cell division; computational biology, modeling and technology; developmental genetics and cell biology; developmental neuroscience; neuroscience; and stem cells and regeneration.
Summer Scholar benefits
Summer Scholars receive funding support to enhance their experiences in an extraordinary research environment
- $5000 salary
- Round-trip transportation between school and Kansas City
- Accommodations near the Stowers campus
- Group activities around the Kansas City area
Program eligibility requirements
Apply to become a Stowers Summer Scholar through the online application at the GradCAS portal. Program eligibility requirements are:
- Full-time availability during the entire program dates of June 3 - July 26, 2024 (exceptions may be granted because of school calendars, please inquire via email)
- Completed one year of undergraduate studies by the start of the program
- 18 years of age or older prior to the program start date
- Enrolled in or just graduated from a degree-granting program in biology, biochemistry, molecular biology, genetics, chemistry, physics, computing, engineering, mathematics, or a related field
- Open to domestic and international students
- Open to previous Summer Scholars
- Students enrolled in or beginning a M.D. or Ph.D. program (in Fall 2024) are NOT eligible to apply
- Those enrolled in a combined BS/MS program must be within the first 4 years of the program - equivalent to a U.S. undergraduate program
What you’ll need to apply
Read over your application carefully before submission. It cannot be altered afterward. The application deadline is at 11:59 PM Eastern Time on February 2, 2024.
A completed GradCAS application:
- Biographical information
- Previous laboratory experience essay (including school projects)
- Statement of interest in Stowers research laboratories
- Personal statement (optional)
- Unofficial transcript(s) uploaded to the application (official transcripts from schools will be requested only after acceptance to the program)
Two letters of recommendation:
- Applicant must request letters from recommenders with enough time for the recommendations to be uploaded by the application deadline
- Letters are uploaded by recommenders through the GradCAS portal
After the application deadline:
- All applicants will be contacted by email whether or not they are selected for the Stowers Summer Scholars Program
- Accepting students on a rolling basis from November through April
- International applicants who are accepted for the Stowers Summer Scholars Program will work with Stowers Immigration Services on the visa application process at the appropriate time.
More about Stowers Summer Scholars
Take a look at Summer Scholars FAQ
Answers to questions asked by previous summer scholars might help you during the application process.
Spend your summer in beautiful, vibrant Kansas City
Incredible science comes from stimulated minds, and Kansas City is an ideal place to experience a wide range of culture, arts, food and more.
Learn about our incredible research campus facilities
In the heart of Kansas City, you’ll find a ten-acre oasis of stately buildings and gorgeously manicured grounds — the home of our labs as well as our accredited graduate school. And while impressive from the outside, it’s what’s inside that really wows.