The Administrative Coordinator role at the Stowers Institute for Medical Research is responsible for a wide range of administrative tasks, including managing detailed travel schedules and appointments as well as providing support for busy and dynamic research laboratories.
This individual should have exceptional ability to take appropriate initiative, assess needs, and then plan and carry out tasks efficiently and effectively to support three Principal Investigators (PIs) and their labs. The ideal candidate should have an appreciation of science and scientific research.
This role reports directly to the PIs of three labs (Kostova Lab, Mashruwala Lab, and Ozel Lab) and works closely with other members and departments throughout the Institute.
- A variety of administrative duties associated with the activities of a busy research laboratory environment
- Maintaining the PIs’ calendars including schedule for meetings, lab meetings and travel.
- Aid in onboarding new lab members and serving as a liaison for all lab members.
- Arranging travel for PIs and lab members for seminars and conferences, speaking engagements, etc, as well as prospective lab members for interviews.
- Submitting expense reports for travel, receipts, and reimbursements.
- Create postage labels for outgoing packages and organize shipping and receiving for the lab in coordination with other departments.
- Plan meetings and seminars for visitors when requested, including room reservation, reminder notifications, and catering arrangements.
- Assist in drafting, editing, and submitting Letters of Recommendations and other essential documents.
- Work with Grants Department for submission of grants for PI and lab members, including submission of bi-weekly Effort Reports.
- Help organize collaborative meetings, lab events and outings: including making reservations, reminder notifications, and catering arrangements.
- Work with Communications Team for updating lab website and publication list. Manage lab’s social media presence.
- Keep up-to-date CVs for PIs. Help proofread CVs and other documents for group members as necessary.
- Assist Graduate School with organizing Committee Meetings for students.
- Kostova and Mashruwala Labs only: Coordinate ordering and purchasing of supplies and reagents through LIMS and Oracle systems.
- Other administrative duties as assigned.
The successful candidate will be a self-starter willing to commit the required effort to accomplish objectives and identify opportunities and will possess a positive “can-do” attitude. Candidates should demonstrate outstanding communication skills and the ability to multi-task in a team-oriented and multi-cultural environment. Meticulous attention to detail and accuracy in work product will be vital. A successful candidate will be a team player who demonstrates and fosters a partnering attitude, including flexibility and patience.
- Bachelor’s degree; or an equivalent combination of education and related work experience
- Three or more years of administrative experience in a complex organization. Experience working in a research environment preferred. Knowledge of scientific terminology and familiarity with research laboratory operations are a plus
- Experience arranging domestic and international corporate travel would be valuable
Skills and Abilities
- Advanced computer skills: proficiency in use of Microsoft office suite. Ability to learn new systems as upgrades or new capabilities are introduced
- Ability to prioritize and perform an array of tasks and to learn certain new tasks independently
- Strong writing skills
- Excellent organizational, time management and decision-making skills
- Exceptional “customer service” skills, focused on meeting customer needs and on achieving customer satisfaction
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- Strong analytical skills, good judgment, and the ability to use critical thinking
Submit the requested documents to firstname.lastname@example.org or Administration Department, Stowers Institute for Medical Research, 1000 E 50th Street, Kansas City, MO 64110.
- Current Resume
- Cover Letter