The Stowers Summer Scholars Program is an intensive research internship at the Stowers Institue for Medical Research for those interested in a research career.
Stowers Summer Scholars spend a minimum of 8-weeks over the summer conducting full-time research under the guidance and supervision of the laboratory head or a senior member of the lab. All Scholars are required to attend weekly scientific seminars on an array of research topics. Other activities include a weekly lunch where Scholars can share ideas and discuss individual projects and experiments. At the completion of the program, Scholars present their work in an all-Institute poster session.
The program offers Scholars:
- An independent research project under the direction of a principal investigator
- Immersion in a Stowers laboratory with a highly interactive and collaborative research environment
- Experimental access to the latest techniques and technologies
- Intellectual and social growth opportunities with other Scholars, laboratory members, and the Stowers community
- Laboratories studying fundamental biological process in the fields of chromatin and regulation of gene expression; chromosome structure and cell division; computational biology, modeling and technology; developmental genetics and cell biology; developmental neuroscience; neuroscience; and stem cells and regeneration.
Application materials are due on or before February 1, 2021 for the 2021 Stowers Summer Scholars Program. All applicants must apply online.
When you click the Apply Now button, you will be directed to our online application at the GradCAS portal.
Program Eligibility Requirements
- Full-time availability during the entire program dates of June 7- July 30, 2021 (exceptions may be granted because of school calendars, please inquire at firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Must be a US citizen or permanent resident
- International students with valid F-1 visas may apply if they are eligible to work under CPT or OPT
- Completed one year of undergraduate studies by the start of the program
- 18 years of age or older prior to the program start date
- Enrolled in or just graduated from a degree-granting program in biology, biochemistry, molecular biology, genetics, chemistry, physics, computing, engineering, mathematics, or a related field
- Applicants currently enrolled in or beginning (in Fall 2021) an MD or PhD program are not eligible
- Previous Scholars are eligible
Read over your application carefully before submission. It cannot be altered afterwards. The application deadline is at 11:59 PM on February 1, 2021.
- Completed the GradCAS application
- GradCAS biographical information
- Previous laboratory experience essay (including school projects)
- Statement of interest in Stowers research laboratories
- Personal statement (optional)
- Unofficial transcript(s) uploaded to the application (official transcripts from schools will only be requested after acceptance to the program)
- Two letters of recommendation to be sent through the GradCAS portal
- Requests must be made with enough time for the recommenders to submit their recommendation by the application deadline
- $4000 stipend
- Round-trip transportation between school and Kansas City
- Accommodations near the Stowers campus
- Depending on limitations imposed by Institute, City, State, and National orders due to COVID-19, some activities around the Kansas City area may be planned.
The program requires a full-time eight-week commitment from June 7 - July 30, 2021. (Accommodations in dates may be made to accommodate academic calendars.)
All applicants will be contacted by e-mail whether or not they are selected for the Stowers Summer Scholars Program. Applicants are accepted on a rolling basis from February through April 15, 2021.
Please be sure to read the FAQs section. If you have further questions, please feel free to contact us with any questions you may have regarding the Stowers Summer Scholars Program.